Called to the Ministry of Accompaniment School of Spiritual Formation
Spiritual Companioning: Sister Nancy Brousseau, OP, DMin is the facilitator
Called to the Ministry of Accompaniment School of Spiritual Formation – A Two-Year Program (with an option following Year 1 of an 18-month program for becoming a Spiritual Director) This two-year process is open to anyone ready to explore what it means to be in the presence of a loving God so that you can see and hear the presence of God as you companion with others.
• Do you feel a longing to deepen your self-knowledge, expand your capacity for availability to God and the good neighbor?
• Do you desire to experience what it is like to be present with a discerning mind and heart?
• Are you ready to discover true peace as you learn to listen without judgment, cynicism, or fear?
• This spiritual formation experience cultivates an understanding of how to listen and
recognize the Universal Christ within the context of our lives and in the context of personal
transformation, cultural traditions, societal changes, and global concerns.
• We will, together, live into a new way of seeing the interconnectedness and interdependence of
all creation as companions on the journey.
The Spiritual Companioning Program continues our formation in the ministry of accompaniment that arises from one’s faith commitment/Baptismal life. The objective of the two-year course is to grow in a more inclusive contemplative lifestyle that fosters a less anxious, more peaceful, nonviolent presence. We will experience large and small group conversations, DVDs, shared insights from readings and life experience, and peer group or sacred circles of prayerful discernment of the movement of the Spirit in our encounters with another.
• Commitment to regular prayer practice and reflection on being a spiritual companion to others.
• Willingness to participate in all aspects of the program, including short reflection papers and
peer group presentations, required readings, and preparation for each session.
• Participation in personal companioning with another in a variety of settings of your choice. The
content of these accompaniment experiences will provide the material for peer group
• Openness and willingness to be changed and expand one’s worldview.
• Attendance at all sessions.
• Participation in individual spiritual direction during the program is encouraged.
• Attendance at a 4-day silent directed retreat during the year at Lial Renewal Center in
Whitehouse, OH is strongly encouraged. Dates made available in the fall. Separate cost.
• Participants who fulfill the above requirements may register for Spiritual Companioning.
• This is a two-year program of 9 sessions each year.
• The first year of the Spiritual Companioning program focuses on the call to personal
transformation in God and the theme: The Way of the Mystic.
• The second year highlights the person called to social transformation and has the theme: The
Way of the Prophet.
• Lunch is on your own. Please bring your lunch and a beverage. Coffee/hot water will be
provided. We will have approximately ½ hour for lunch. If you would like to bring a snack to
share with the group it would be welcomed.
Books – Required Year 1:
• The Universal Christ: How a Forgotten Reality Can Change Everything We See, Hope For, and
Believe by Richard Rohr 2019.
• Becoming an Ordinary Mystic by Albert Haase, OFM, 2019
• Conversation—The Sacred Art: Practicing Presence in an Age of Distraction by Diane M. Millis,
• Armchair Mystic: Easing Into Contemplative Prayer by Mark E. Thibodeaux, SJ
• Laudato Si’ – Praise Be To You: On Care of our Common Home by Pope Francis
Session Days, Dates, and Times
Sessions are one per month from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
September 11, 2021 October 9, 2021 November 13, 2021 December 11, 2021 January 8, 2022 February 12, 2022 March 12, 2022 April 9, 2022 May 7, 2022
September 17, 2022 October 15, 2022 November 12, 2022 December 10, 2022 January 14, 2023 February 11, 2023 March 11, 2023 April 15, 2023 May 20, 2023
Location for all sessions: Monroe Street United Methodist Church 3613 Monroe Street, Toledo, Ohio 43606 A
Anyone completing the first year of the Spiritual Companioning Program may apply for the 18- month Spiritual Formation certificate program for becoming a spiritual director. This is offered August 2022 through December 2023, one Friday per month, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. at the same location. This program requires an application process and recommendations. Forms/dates will be available in the winter of Year 1.
Tuition and Payment Schedule $530 per year – Year 1 tuition due with registration and Year 2 tuition due September 2022 Or two payments per year: Year 1-$265 due with registration September 2021 and$265 due February 2022; Year 2- $265 due September 2022 and $265 due in February 2023
To request a Registration Form Please contact Barbara Coleman at 419-410-1169 or [email protected]
For questions or more Information Please contact Sr. Nancy at 616-560-4580 or [email protected] Program Facilitator: Sister Nancy Brousseau, OP, DMin, is a Dominican Sister of Grand Rapids, MI. Nancy served as the Director of the Dominican Center at Marywood in Grand Rapids for five years, and was Director of Spirituality Programs there for six years. Prior to those years, she was Director of St. Joseph Educational Center in Des Moines, Iowa. Sr. Nancy has an MA in Religious Education, a M.Div. from St. John’s (now Sacred Heart) Seminary in Detroit and a D.Min. in Spiritual Direction from the Graduate Theological Foundation and the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, MN. She offers retreats, spiritual direction, workshops, and programs in prayer, spirituality, and spiritual formation.